Bacon Cheddar Pie
If you love bacon and cheddar cheese, you are going to love this savory pie! I have had this recipe for many years. I do not know where I got it, but I am very glad that I have it! Bacon and cheddar cheese compliment each other (taste-wise), so they are perfect in this pie. I like to say that everything is better with pie! (I certainly think so.)
This bacon cheddar pie tastes good and works for any meal - breakfast, lunch, or dinner. You can even eat it as a snack if you want. It is an easy meal for company when served with either fresh fruit or salad (depending on the time of day). When I make a sweet pie using my water whipped pastry shell (click 'pastry shell' to go to that blog post), I often use the extra shell for this recipe. Here is the perfect pie recipe for those bacon and cheddar cheese lovers! Enjoy!
Some helpful tips before you start:
1. The way I scald the milk is by pouring the milk in a small saucepan over low heat. Do not stir the milk, but carefully watch over the milk in order to keep it from boiling. You want to heat the milk until just before boiling. You will see tiny bubbles around the rim of the saucepan and some movement from the milk. This is scalded milk. Remove from the heat, and use it according to the recipe.
2. For the cheddar cheese, I use a block of cheddar and then grate it myself. The quality of the cheese is so much better than the prepackaged shredded cheddar.
3. I like to microwave my bacon. It is not as messy (when I do it on the stove top, grease goes everywhere). Once the bacon is cool enough to handle, I simply tear/crumble the bacon into small pieces.
4. The original recipe calls for 1/2 teaspoon of salt. I find that 1/4 teaspoon of salt is good according to my taste buds, but feel free to experiment with what you like!
5. Refer to my pastry shell tips for the pie crust (click 'tips' to go to the blog post).
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion (may substitute with green onion)
2 tablespoons butter
1 (9 inch) baked pie crust/pastry shell
1 cup grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup scalded milk
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon thyme
8 fried strips of bacon, crumbled [may substitute with 1 cup chopped (fully cooked) ham]
Sauté the onion in the butter. Combine the cheese, milk, eggs, salt, pepper, thyme, bacon, and onion in a large bowl. Mix the ingredients well. Pour the mixture into the pie crust. Bake the pie at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 to 30 minutes. Let the pie cool for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
(edited by Anna Weicht)